Friday, May 3, 2013

Four Things - Day 2



 
My wife over at atfouroclock.com started a challenge that I decided to join in on.

Day 2: Four Fictional Characters

1 - Lara Croft: Ok, so I am a geek guy and I love video games.  I really don't care for the tough as nails, all balls to the wall girl in most things, but Lara Croft is just awesome and cool.  I never could understand the sex appeal, but as a character, she turned out to be very deep and extremely well put together mentally.  Her story has been told in so many different ways and with so many different styles that it is hard to completely understand it, but overall, I found it enthralling and entertaining.  I think the whole exploration of tombs and ancient history and legends in conjunction with her history made her a much more viable and fun character. 
     What ruined her story the most was the fiasco's they called movie adaptions.  I just can't attest enough to the horrible way the studios went about putting these movies together.  From what I understand, there is another movie in the works (source) based off the latest outing of Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 2013 and I really hope they do better with it.
 (source)

2 - Chewbacca: Big. Hairy. Loyal. Strong.  What's not to love? This is the most true and trusted friend of any character I can imagine.  Think about all the crap that he goes through by Han Solo's side and all the trouble he got into because of who he knows....and he stays around.  Just, WOW! 
     My wife tells me that Chewie actually stays by Hans side because he owes Han Solo a life debt.  I was not aware of this and it makes sense.  I still prefer to think that Chewie hangs with Han because he truly, genuinely cares for the scoundrel.
 (source)

3 - Blade: I recently (within the past year) completed a series of books by T.C. Southwell called The Queen's Blade and was enthralled by the level of detail and amount of depth that went into all the characters, but particularly into Blade, (Lord Conash).  He was such a thrilling and unique character and I was so torn and upset many times reading this series by the hell this man went through.  But all he endured only made him stronger and more efficient at what he does.  His story is told in a series of 8 books (two of them prequels, **Note: Read the prequels after the original series as they give away some of the story and will not make the original series as entertaining**).  His loyalty to his views and then, later, to his friends make him so very interesting.  If you like to read and have an e-reader, I suggest going to the link above and getting the first book.  (It's free for the first book of all T.C. Southwells' series.)

(source)

4 - Caramon and Raistlin Majere: Ok, so I know that I am supposed to pick one character for each of these but, anyone who knows these characters, knows that you can't really talk about one without the other.  These were twins that were introduced to me through the Dragonlance Chronicles back in high school.   Their story was so deep and involved that they were given their own series of books called The Time of the Twins.  Both Chronicles and Time of the Twins was written by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis.
     Caramon, the big, burly, handsome one of the two, seems to be slow witted and dense but is actually quite smart and caring with a gentle side that would make most people look clumsy in comparison.  His loyalty to his brother borders on the fanatical as he felt responsible for Raistlin in every imaginable way.  Caramon even puts his own feelings for others, even in matters of the heart, to the back burner many times in support of Raistlin. As you can imagine, this leads to many problems and conflicts, manifesting both physically and mentally.  
     Raistlin is just the opposite of Caramon.  He is sickly and weak but smart as a whip and deems himself above everyone else due to this intelligence, including his brother.  However, he knows that he could never survive without his brother.  Atleast, not at first.  I can't divulge too much in this regard as it would give the story away.  Suffice it to say that eventually, Raistlin comes into his own strength, albeit of the mind. Deep down, though, Raistlin loves and cares for his brother and these feelings make him feel weak himself.
     The way these two characters compliment each other makes you think of one whole person that was actually broken into two parts and if the two were ever molded back together, that one individual would be a force to be reckoned with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do think that Han and Chewbacca have a genuine friendship; it simple got started when Han saved Chewbacca's life. :)

Becky said...

I believe Han rescued Chewie from slavery and so Chewie owed Han his life, but they became friends. I totally believe that Han and Chewie wouldn't have kept hanging out together so long if they didn't have bro-love. :) Uh....yes, I'm a nerd.

Anonymous said...

Chewie! Love that big furball :)